Links and Resources

There are many government departments and organisations that need to be informed. You may be asked by them to provide documentation confirming your loved one's death and provide several forms of identification.


There is a simple form you'll need to complete so that the Department of Human Services can update its records. This is called the Notification of deceased person form (MS033).

This form is here


It is important to notify Centrelink about your loved one's death if they were receiving assistance such as a aged pension, disability, unemployment, parental or other payments.

The form is usually completed as part of our funeral arrangement process. This is called the Advice of death form (SA116A).  If you are unsure if it has been completed you can visit the nearest Centrelink to pick up a form in person or call 132 300.

This form is here

The bank

When you notify the bank to inform them about a loved one's death, they will restrict access to the account. If you shared a joint account, however, you will still be able to access your funds.

Most banks will allow payment of a funeral invoice, provided by a funeral director without a formal death certificate.  They can be provided if requested with a proof of death document such as a death certificate, medical certificate or coroner's letter as proof of death when you are notifying the bank. 

Taxation office

You should notify the taxation office if your loved one had a tax file number, or lodged tax returns during their lifetime, as there are likely to be tax and superannuation issues to be completed.

If your loved one had super, you may receive a 'super death benefit' payment. The super fund's trustee works out who the beneficiaries are. If you are the executor of your loved one's estate, you may need to lodge a final tax return, known as a date of death return. You may also need to lodge a tax return for the tax year prior to their death.


You may also need to contact people and organisations including:

  • Utilities and telecoms providers
  • Insurance companies
  • Landlord or tenants
  • Vehicle registration and licensing authorities
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs
  • Australian Electoral Commission